hr. Chandrikapersad Santokhi
FIRST NAME: CHANDRIKAPERSAD
DATE AND PLACE OF BIRTH: FEBRUARY 3RD, 1959 IN DISTR. OF SURINAME DISTRICT OF WANICA
Chandrikapersad Santokhi was born on the 3rd of February 1959 in the District of Suriname in the Republic of Suriname.
In 1978, at the age of 19, he enrolled in the Dutch Police Academy in Apeldoorn, the Netherlands. After graduating from the Police Academy in 1982 he joined the Surinamese Police Force, where he served in various positions, capacities and ranks with loyalty, integrity and dedication. During his 27 years of service, he participated in more than 100 regional and international conferences, meetings, training programs and events.
Mr. Santokhi has been the Principal Representative of Suriname for the Inter-American Drug Commission, CICAD, since 1995 and has participated regularly in CICAD meetings.
In 2005 he left the Police Force to accept the post of Minister of Justice and Police of the Republic of Suriname. At the time of his departure from the Police Force, he was Head of the Judicial Department in the rank of Police Commissioner charged with the coordination of international police force cooperation.
Mr. Santokhi held the office of Minister of Justice and Police of the Republic of Suriname until the 12th of August 2010, which duty he performed with dedication and integrity. His approach in formulating and implementing policy within the Ministry of Justice and Police is based on the idea of chain management, which states that any chain is as strong as its weakest link. Therefore, all partners within the Judicial system are addressed and equipped equally, making each link as strong as the other, so that Justice may be served optimally for all in a timely manner by the strong chain which is the Ministry of Justice and Police. The President of the Republic of Suriname honored Mr. Santokhi in July 2010 with the State decoration of “Great Officer of the Yellow Star”
From 1997-2008 Mr. Santokhi was member of Rotary Club Paramaribo. As Rotarian he was privileged to serve in various capacities within the organization. From 2005 -2006 he served as President of Rotary Club Paramaribo. Mr. Santokhi received the Paul Harris Award of Rotary International in July 2006.
In May 2010 he was elected as Member of Parliament for the VHP political party. In July 2010 he was nominated as Candidate for the Presidency of the Republic of Suriname.
Mr. Santokhi was the Principal Representative of Suriname for CICAD from 1995-2012. In November 2009 he was elected Vice Chair of CICAD, in which position he has made a valuable contribution to CICAD’s operations and in December 2010 he was elected as Chair of the CICAD for the period 2010-2011.
In July 2011 Mr. Santokhi was elected as chair of the Progressive and Reform [VHP] political party.
- 1982-1984: acting Head of criminal investigation division of Geyervlijt. [Police-inspector]
- 1984-1985: also acting Police-Commander of the District of Suriname.[Superintendent]
- 1985-1989: Head of the criminal investigation div.of Geyervlijt and District-police
Commander of distr. of Suriname. [Superintendent]
- 1989-1991; Chief national criminal investigation
- 1991-till 2005: Head of the Judicial Dept. of the Police [First Assistant -Police commissioner/ and till 2005 Police-Commissioner]
- 2005-2010: Minister of Justice and Police.
- 2010 till 2015; elected as Parliament Member
- 2015 till present; elected as Parliament Member
OTHER PAST FUNCTIONS:
- -MEMBER OF THE MANAGEMENTTEAM OF THE POLICE
- -MEMBER OF THE PROJECTORGANIZATION OF THE POLICE
- -MEMBER OF THE CO-OPERATION COUNCIL BETWEEN SURINAME AND GUYANA
- -INTERNATIONAL POLICE-COORDINATOR
- -INTERNATIONAL DRUGSCONFERENCE [IDEC]COORDINATOR.[1992- till 2005]
- -COORDINATOR OF IMPLEMENTATION OF THE LEGAL MUTUAL AGREEMENT BETWEEN SURINAME AND THE NETHERLANDS.[1996-2005]
- -POLICE-INSPECTOR, MIL. POLICE AND CUSTOMS TRAINER [1997-1998]
- -PRINCIPAL REPRESENTATIVE OF THE OAS/CICAD IN SURINAME [1996-till 2012]
- -MEMBER OF THE NATIONAL ANTI-DRUGSCOUNCIL [1997-till 2005]
- -MEMBER OF THE MULTI-EVALUATION MECHANISM COMMISSION OF
- -MEMBER OF JOINT WORKING GROUP DRUGS COOPERATION BETWEEN SURINAME AND VENEZUELA [2003-till 2005]
- -COORDINATOR OF SURINAMESE-FRANCO PROJECTS FOR THE INSTITUTIONAL STRENGTHENING OF THE JUDICIARY. [1997-2005]
- CHAIR OF THE IDEC SECTION CARIBBEAN [2001-2002]
- VICE CHAIR OF THE CICAD 2009-2010
- CHAIR OF THE CICAD 2010-2011
- -1976-1978: ALGEMENEMIDDELBARESCHOOL [AMS]
- -1978-1982: NETHERLANDSPOLICEACADEMY [POLICE-
- -1983: MIDDLE MANAGEMENTTRAINING/SWECON/SURINAME
- -1985: DRUGSTRAINING/ATLANTA UNIVERSITY/BARBADOS
- -1988: INTERNATIONAL POLICE TRAINING ON INTERNAL
- -1989: DRUGSTRAINING/CICAD-RCMP/CANADA
- -1992: TOP POLICE MANAGEMENT TRAINING/PIOV/
- -1993: FINANCIAL & MANAGEMENTTRAINING/UNDCP/
- -1994: TRAINING MASTERPLAN DEVELOPMENT /UNDCP/
- -1994: TIME MANAGEMENT TRAINING/PROMPT/SURINAME
- -1995: LEADERSHIP TRAINING/SURALCO/SURINAME
- -1995: PROBLEM ANALYZING TRAINING/PROMPT/SURINAME
- -1995: ASSISTANT-PROSECUTER TRAINING/LEUSDEN/
- -1996: INTERPOL TRAINING/INTERPOL/BARBADOS
- -1996: COURSE NATIONAL AUTHORITIES FOR THE
ORGANISATION FOR PROHIBITION OF CHEMICAL
- 1997: TRAINING DIRECTORS CONFERENCE / FLETC / USA
- 1998: RIVERINE OPERATION CONFERENCE/CAMP LE
JEUNE/NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
- 1998: HEMISPERIC DEFENSE STUDY/ NATIONAL
- 1998: TRAINING CHEMICAL WEAPON CONVENTION/BRASIL
- 1999: TRAINING BUSINESS CONTINUITY PLANNING BCP]/
SURINAME/TJON A HUNG-PRICE WATERHOUSE COOPERS.
- 2000: DRUGSCONTROL SEMINAR/JAPAN
- 2001: SEMINAR ON THE CONTROL OF THE INTERNATIONAL
MOVEMENTS OF FIREARMS/TRININDAD AND TOBAGO
- 2001: INTERNATIONAL FIREARMS TRAFFICKING
- 2003: TRAINING COMBATING COMPLEX CRIME IN THE 21ST
CENTURY/UNITED STATES OF DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE/OPDAT/BARBADOS
- 2003: ANTI-MONEY LAUNDERING SUPERVISORS TRAINING
SEMINAR CALP/ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA
- 2004: CONFERENCE ON TRANSNATIONAL CRIME/VENEZUELA
- -2004; IDEC DRUGS CONFERENCE/PERU
- -2004: ATTENDING THE CRIME ANALYSSIS CONFERENCE/Netherlands
- -2005: IDEC DRUGS CONFERENCE/CHILI
- -2005: INTER-AMERICAN DRUGS CONFERENCE [CICAD] IN St. Domingo.
- -2005: CARICOM MINISTERS OF LEGAL AFFAIRS CONFERENCE; BARBADOS
- -2006: 1ST TRIPARTITE MEETING SURINAME, NEDERLANDSE ANTILLEN AND
ARUBA IN CURACAO
- -2006: ORGANISATOR OF THE INTERNATIONAL
DRUGSCONFERENCE IN SURINAME EN 2SND TRIPARTITE SURINAME, NEDERLANDSE ANTILLEN EN ARUBA
- -2007: 3RD TRIPARTITE MEETING SURINAME, NEDERLANDSE ANTILLEN AND
ARUBA IN ARUBA.
- -2007: SPEAKER AT THE OAS CONFERENCE IN JAMAICA“STRATEGIES
TO COMBAT DRUG TRAFFICKING IN THE CARIBBEAN: THE CASE OF SURINAME”,
In the capacity of Minister of Justice and Police he regularly attended the REMJA Meetings, CICAD Meetings, the Meeting of Ministers of National Security in the Caribbean, the Legal Affairs Committee of the CARICOM, the Tripartite Meetings between Suriname, Aruba and Netherlands Antilles, etc. And recently attend the Regional summit on Drugs trafficking and Firearms trafficking and Security in Cartagena, Colombia.
AS Parliament member he attended from 2010 till 2013 the WTO Conference in Geneve, The IPU Conference in Switzerland, the Parlatino security Conference in Columbia and Ecuador.
From 2012-2013 he was selected by the Organization of American States as an expert to design scenario’s for future drugs policy for the political leaders of the Western Hemisphere.
Since 1997 to 2008: MEMBER OF THE ROTARY CLUB PARAMARIBO
And from 2005-2006: PRESIDENT VAN DE ROTARY CLUB PARAMARIBO
From 2011 till today: chair of the political party VHP.
<< Terug naar leden